Hi! I’m Bri, your resident wino. I have been thinking about making a blog to track my weight loss journey for well…what feels like forever at this point.
Here are the facts:
- I am a wino. My husband and I had a wine themed wedding, and spent our honeymoon tasting wines all over Napa Valley. Nothing makes me happier than a glass of wine after a long day, or going to our local grocery store and discussing the different flavor profiles of wine and how they pair with foods with the person hosting the tasting. You may be thinking, what are you, an alcoholic? My husband and I like to joke that we are high-functioning alcoholics, but in all seriousness, wine fascinates me. It feels elegant and mysterious to me. It can make flavors pop out of food that you didn’t even realize were there to begin with. The history of wine in and of itself is endlessly interesting. Our wine rack is always full. My current wines of choice are an Old Vine Zinfandel and my old stand-by, Pinot Grigio…though I’ve been dabbling with Rose of late.
- In 2012, I got VERY depressed. I had just met my now husband. I was in a musical that was really stressing me out, my parents had just moved to a different place, and I had such severe anxiety that I wasn’t sleeping or eating. I was literally eating watermelon and drinking water, just to survive. I knew something was wrong when even pizza didn’t sound good to me anymore. I got the help I needed, but when my appetite came back, I stopped moving (I had been working out 5 days a week prior to the musical) and started ordering in pizza, hitting up my local 7-11 for sour cream and onion chips and orange soda, and at Easter I would buy 4 Cadbury eggs and a bag of Starburst jellybeans and eat the WHOLE thing in one night. I was also frequenting the bakery on my walk home from work for a Toffee Cookie sandwich filled with frosting. It was delicious, but it did not do me any favors.
- 5 years later, I am 100 pounds overweight. I am not proud of this fact, but it is a fact, no matter what way I spin it.
- I tried Weight Watchers on and off for about a year and found myself gaining weight more often than losing it. This made me feel extremely discouraged.
- In May of 2016, I found Beachbody and the 21 Day Fix. From May to September, I had HUGE successes with the 21 Day Fix. Here’s a before and after for evidence.
- I was feeling like a SERIOUS boss babe. And then winter happened. And I got complacent. And I gave into my excuses. And the holidays happened, and now, I find myself not quite back to square one (I am DEFINITELY way stronger than I was in that first picture) but not nearly as close to my goal as I would like to be.
- That’s where this blog comes in. I have been wanting to find a place to write about my journey. I have always been honest about this journey and what it means to me. It isn’t perfect, because I’m not perfect. I have good days and bad days. But I’m here, and I’m showing up. I drink wine a few times a week because it makes me happy, and frankly, it’s a part of who I am. I’m ready to make things HAPPEN in 2017. Here’s where I’m starting from.
If you’ve read this far, you’re up to speed on my journey. I have a plan of action for the month of February, and I intend to make it work for me. (I also just discovered a new brand of bubbly Rose that I am SUPER amped about). I hope you’ll keep tuning in for info about my journey, the wines I’m drinking, self care, and everything in between!